Mike's BA FPV Salt Lake Race Car

For those that dont know Brad has been looking after this Salt lake race car for the past couple of years. A quick run down of the past 2 years goes something along the lines of this:

 

Brad was asked to come to a post race meeting in 2013 to discuss the performance of the vehicle at that years race at Lake Gairdner. With a 500rwkw dyno sheet on display, but only being able to achieve a top speed of 170mph over the 5 mile stretch, Brad told the team that the car simply wasn't making 500rwkw.

 

The car was then brought to the workshop to run it up on the dyno and see what was going on...

 

Best dyno run 320rwkw, which looking at calculations matched the MPH the customer had been achieving over the years.

After a few lengthy conversations with the customer on ways to improve the car, the modifications began.

 

In hindsight, the dodgy dyno sheet should have been a big enough clue to know that the customer had been well and truly ripped off, but at this stage of the build, we went by what we were told, the invoices we were shown, and the information given by the customer and his Race Team.

 

Information given told us that the engine had been built by another performance workshop years prior using all forged Pistons, aftermarket billet crank, you know the drill, all the goodies...

 

Brad made an ice box inter cooler, wired in a nice new Haltech ECU, with every sensor we could possibly purchase, Brad custom made a new manifold, installed a NOS system on her, added fans to the underbody, added weight to the car, did a few other things like a full car fire extinguisher set up, new custom dash, new custom door trims, etc etc...

 

Brad dyno tuned it after he finished the mods and got 621rwkw/833rwhp

 

The customer was stoked

That year, she finally ran an average of 210mph even with the customer accidentally missing gears, short shifting through the gears, not even using the newly installed NOS system, and track conditions being the worst seen in years.

 

Examining the data after the run, besides the missed gears, there was still a staggering 35% wheel spin throughout the run.

Even with all these odds against the customer, he still set the record for his class by 40MPH. Not many salt lake vehicles run over 200mph due to coefficient friction of the salt, but once they do, they become a member of the '200mph club', something very few people have achieved.

 

Mike was ecstatic to finally receive this honour, and get his '200mph' prizes after years of trying.

 

After last years attempts and having gear box issues, of not being able to select gears etc, we inspected the gearbox and found that due to the speeds of the rotating parts within the gearbox, the oil instead of lubricating the gears, was actually being 'flicked' away from the gears and in doing so, the gears were actually getting welded together due to no lubrication.

All components within the gearbox were then replaced, and an oil spray bar installed to rectify the lubrication problem.

Also to eliminate any driver error on gear selection we decided a sequential paddle shift should be installed. It would also minimise loss of RPM and help keep the vehicle stable during gear changing.

 

Brad, the customer, and the Race Team made their way back up to Lake Gairdner in March this year. During its first run, unfortunately it all went pear shaped, smoke started to fill the cabin and the customer straight away abandoned the run.

The following morning, Brad checked over the car and found she was only running on 7 cylinders...

 

After examining the onboard data system whilst what happened with the engine was disheartening, we were extremely happy as the data showed that we were 45mph faster at the first marker compared to the year prior when the record was set. We still hold the current record for the class.

 

She came back to the workshop where we stripped the engine down, and guess what we found???? Yep, the customer didn't have all the goodies he had paid for in the original engine build some 7 years ago. 1 of the pistons had actually melted as they were NA pistons and conrods, it also still had the standard crank shaft in it.....

 

So after much deliberation between Brad and the customer, looking at the class rules and regulations that govern the vehicle for this class, the customer and Brad have decided to continue with the current engine type and size. However, due to the Ford market being so small, there are limited parts available in the world that can handle horsepower and maintain reliability for this particular model of engine. Brad will be making all internal parts to go into the billet engine he has designed for Mike.

© 2019 by ENHANCED AUTOMOTIVE Pty Ltd                 Terms and Conditions of Sale

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon